How to Become a Fire Guard
Fire guards play an important part in keeping the residents of large buildings safe. Local government code may specify when, where and how many Fire Guards are required in a building. If there is a fire alarm, sprinkler or standpipe out of service in New York City, a fire guard must be present to perform fire watch duties. New York City requires that Fire Guards be trained and licensed to work in residential or commercial buildings.
Fire Guards are also required by law for safe operation of many construction sites where an open flame is in use.
At least one Fire Guard is required in places where the public gathers, like shelters, film studios, hotels, office buildings and marinas when there is no sprinkler system or the fire protection system is out of service. Security Guards with Fireguard training are in more demand than those who have not taken this security guard training.
Minimum Requirements for Fire Guards
- You must be at least 18 years of age.
- You must have a reasonable understanding of the English language.
- You must provide two forms of identification. At least one of them must be government issued photo identification, such as a State-issued Drivers’ License or Non Drivers License or passport.
- You must present a letter of recommendation from your employer. The letter must be on official letterhead, and must state your full name, experience and the address where you will work. If you are self-employed or the owner of the company, you must submit a notarized letter stating that status.
- If you are not currently employed, you may take the test without the recommendation letter. If you pass the test, FDNY will issue a temporary letter with a photo for job seeking purposes. You will not receive a Certificate of Fitness card unless you are employed and provide the recommendation letter from your employer.
Liberty Security Training Institute's 4 hour program is designed help you prepare for the examination for the Certificate of Fitness for Fire Guard. This course is not required by law, but will make the process easier for you and increase your odds of success. Our Instructor will familiarize you with the New York City Fire Department study material. Topics covered will include safety requirements, safety signs, inspections, fire extinguishing devices, sprinkler systems and emergency procedures. In addition to the cost of your Fire Guard Training at LSTI, you will be required to pay a $25.00 fee to the NYC fire department in order to take the Certificate of Fitness Examination. When you take your Fire Guard Training Course with Liberty Security Training Institute, we help you with every step in the certification process to save you time and money and avoid any confusion. We make it easy for you to get the training and certification you need for your career as a Certified Fire Guard.
If you have already taken your basic security guard training classes, which include the 8 hour Pre-Assignment Security Guard Training Course and the 16 Hour In-Service Security Guard Training, you will be eligible for our package discount pricing and you will receive a discounted rate when you sign up for our Fire Guard Training Course.
Maintaining Your Fire Guard Certificate
In order to maintain your status as a Certified Fire Guard in New York City, you must renew your certificate each year by submitting your renewal notification or a letter stating the Certificate of Fitness number with a fee of $15, money order or personal check payable to “Fire Department City of New York“to: FDNY (Cashier’s Unit), 9 MetroTech Center, Brooklyn, NY 11201.